Monday, July 18, 2005

First Stage Race

I had a blast this weekend regardless of the way I felt.I just wanted to break my streak of bad luck and finish some races,even though I am out of my cycle and not having the intensity that I need.I have to limit my briefing because there is too much too write about.To get things started we missed our turn off and got lost a bit,and ended up taking a ferry across Lake Wisconsin to get to the resort.Then that night Jeff & Mike didn't arrive untill 11:30,and they had to unpack so we hit the hay after 12:00...way passed our bed time.But Mike did some stuff out by the truck and snuck in at 3:00,took a bed sheet and slept in his truck.I swear that guy only gets a few hours of sleep and he still is hyper.It was super hot sat. and no breeze.Me and Sam rode the time trial course with Eric Thompson and as soon as Eric said "man they could use a little more rocks on this course" I hit one and down I went,smacking my frame on a rock and breaking my bar end.I'm ok.Nothing happened to me.
The TT course was the xc course without the first major climb.Everyone hung out in the shade waiting for their turn.Sam went in front of me so he was my miniute man.At the first open climb I saw Sam just as he crested and I thought I was gaining.But I took it causiously through the single track avoiding any mistakes.At the end Chris comes up and starts putting himself down, like he was doing all day."Man I was suffering out there...my legs are not feeling good today" ect.And he ends up getting first.Come on just admit that you feel like stomping the compitition .Sam got fourth and I was 10th a 1:18 back.Talking to Chris again before the short track he says "You guys have the endurance more than me and these other guys, I'm not feeling feeling it today".Yah,right with like 5 or 6 laps to go in the short track he puts in 2 efforts and ends up putting a 15 second gap on the field while me and Sam are shelled off the back.I can't hold my heart rate that high for that long especially in the heat.I didn't even look at the results I was at least 3 min behind Chris at the end of the day.The next day they shortened the xc course a lap because of the heat and it still was a 2:00 race.It was the same story from Chris "You guys are pacing me up the hill, you can climb better than me".From the gun I got on Chris's wheel and we made it through the bottle neck when we hit the single track, but Sam got a little held up behind me.At the top of the second major climb I passed Chris and he gave me a big push forward.But he stuck to my wheel and turned it on after we came out of the rock filled single track and onto the descent.The second time up the like 10-15 min climb he gapped me along with Caleb Bonnet.Sam caught back up to me at the top and we rode together for a while but I was just holding him up so he went.I yo-yoed back and forth with some guys passing them up the hills and they'd pass me in the singletrack.That single track was my demise.It became so rutted and washboarded with jagged rocks everywhere that my back was killing me.I wasn't very adjile through it either.Comming to the finish I passed 4 comp riders at the top of the downhill and they all had full suspentions.I heard a little comotion behind me like they where catching me.I let it all lose and bombed the hill.The finish is a little up hill to lose some speed,but it was a short shoot.Anyway,here it was Tod Mcfadden trying to get me at the finish.Bob Mcvean said we came in by far the fastest he's seen anyone finish.I ran out of gears.I honestly think I beat him on the line but it was hard to say since there were some comp riders crossing at the same time, and I had to power slide it to stop in time.
But Chris ended up beating me by like 6 min and took 6th place.Sam took 7th 2 min behind Chris and I took 15th.I have to hand it to Chris for putting it all together for this race and taking 3 first place finishes,though he will deny trying to peak for the race.He ended up taking home $280.Congradulations man, I'm glad we took it away from those Wisconsinites.Sam Got 3rd overall in the series.I don't know where I am,they don't have results posted yet.I look forward to next year already.

Congrates to the winners 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home