Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Group ride

Yesterday me and Sam went on the County Cycles group road ride.I've only done it a few times in the past 3 years and its been 2 years for Sam. We started early to get a good warm up and see if we could find Greg Levick (I don't know how to spell his last name) somewhere along the way.We headed south through Vadnais Lake and it was perfect timming because we intersected right with Greg.It was funny,me and Sam just rode easy to let Greg catch up but he just sat back 100 yards not making an effort to join.Then after a stop sign a big truck with a trailer full of sod passes us, and there's Greg 6 inches from the trailer drafting , going to beat hell right past us. After his little stunt he joined us and we did an hour warm up around Bald Eagle as he told us stories and all kinds of interesting things that could stir up controversy.That guy has been around for a long time and knows everything about everyone. I.e.-we see a biker go by and he says "hey, thats Steve Hed" and he goes on about all the inovations that he's been a part of.
After a quick waterbottle fill we hook up with the group.We just stayed in the rear untill the first sprint into Hugo,but the pace all the way there was in the upper 20's.I don't do much group riding, but man the pull you get in the middle of a pack is insane. After sucking some wheels in the Hugo sprint everyone takes it really easy and it gives you some time to talk before the country roads.I was up front when this tall guy in a Croll jersey comes along side me. I look at him and and here its Aric Harland.This was his first time in the group ride too.After a few words we hit the county roads and Aric takes the front and starts pounding. There were about 5 of us up front pacelineing when these two girls on bikes come out in front of us from the sidewalk and we nearly smeared them.Right before the first climb I backed off to catch a few seconds of recovery and get the h.r. down.When we hit it, alot of the riders back way down,so Aric,me ,Sam,Greg and a few other guys pulled the group thin to the top.The next climb and sprint I wasn't in because I pulled for Sam but on the last climb I was sitting back about 6 places,and when the lead guys hit the hill they slowed way down.I broke way to the outside and just took off.After that climb there's a little flat before the next hill and I did a breakaway to the top unchallenged.Sam was leading the chase group up the hill and I recovered on the decent.On the last sprint I followed some guys out and broke wide again, but I was too early and I got caught by Greg and some other dudes.That ride is fun when your feeling good.Plus it gives us a chance to mess with the roadies.I plan on doing it more often so we'll see how it goes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home