Monday, June 20, 2005

Word from the wise...Next time use zip ties


Putting the hammer down Posted by Hello
This course was insanely fast.Half single track and half atv& ski trails.It was kinda like the pre-fat.At the start I told Sam to start ahead of me sinse he's been staying with me on the starts,or close behind.My plan was to let him set the pace untill I got warmed up.Then work together after that.When we went, everyone was literally eating dust. I could hardly see or breath, it was so thick,and my eyes were drying up.The pace was a bit slow I thought and I was tempted to surge past Sam in some spots,but I was patient.What gets me is a big group going through the single track that bunches up all the time.Thats racing though,either beat it or join it. 3/4 of the way through the first lap my pace maker got a flat.2 flats in a row is very discouraging(he flatted at Afton last week) Well now its all me.So I said self,its time to put the hammer down.And boy did I ever.I was flying through the ski trails and I found my rythm on the single track.At the end of the first lap someone yelled 1 min from the front. I was like sweet,which gave me some more spirits to go harder.On the 2nd lap I was chasing down what I'm guessing was the lead chase group of about 10 or so. And I was pulling for a few other guys behind me. A few riders were dropping back from the lead group and I was gaining slowly. 1/2 way through the lap there's this really,really bumpy single track with huge boulders strewn about with no distinct line.As I was going through my number plate fell off.I quick put it back on while about 7 riders zip by.I got back on just as another group comes by and jump in.I quick give a burst, and pound right past up to the front and start pulling again. You can't back down at all on thes flat races because the time gaps are very small.1 min can drop you 5-10 places.I just kept motoring and hopefully pick up some of the guys dropping back.I didn't know who was behind me I just kept my eyes forward.On the third lap in the same single track spot,my number came off again."What the heck!" This time it flew totally off and I had to go back to get it.There I was trying to stuff it in my jersey pocket,but the dang thing is just big enough to not fit, so try putting it back on the bike, crap the twist ties broke.Ok plan C,try folding it in the pocket.This thing aint easy to fold in a pocket because its a thick plastic. It worked but it was a little uncomfortable and I had lost some decent time.At this time I knew I had no chance to catch the group so I was just going to keep poundin at pick up what I can.At the start of the last lap I caught back up to some guys and they were sticking to me pretty good as I was pulling a good pace.At this point I was desperate on finding mike for a bottle because I only got 1 hand up on the 2nd lap.At the top of the biggest climb on the course, right before the bumpy single track I yelled for some water from the spectators.One guy came running up with a bottle and I was surprised the guys behind me didn't attack because I almost came to a stop.Bad luck hit again as the bottle was one of those stupid ones that no matter how hard you squeeze the thing it trickles water.Through the single track the guy behind me was barely hanging on he said.But he held on as I was starting to feel the need for water.I had like 2 miles to go so I just tryed to keep the pace as high as I could.Within the last mile we came out of the woods onto a atv trail and the guy behind me came around and started the final attack.It was just me and him now.We were comming in hot on a guy right into the last single track section before the finish line.We anounced our approach and the guy in front of me made it around him but the dude cut me off right on the apex of the corner. I was like what the heck we are going way faster than you and you pull right in front of me.With nowhere to pass ,he got a gap on me so I couldn't challenge him at the end sprint.
I did have a fun race and I am feeling better with every race, so live and learn I guess.Time-2:18,overall- 27th,age-10th.I figure if everything went right I would have been in the top 15.
On an ironic note,my 2 Wis race times are 2:18,and my 2 MN race times are 2:01. Very freaky man.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

All right....no using this overtime bit to cheese out on the race this weekend. There's new singletrack cut so it should be a fun course.

Thu Jun 23, 06:08:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home