Monday, May 16, 2005

Wors #1

We went to our first Wisconsin race yesterday. Those races are so different than Minnesota.In the expert class alone for males was 100 racers.But this is how the race went.......I got to the start line a little early to get a better spot because the start shoot isn't that big and with 100 riders you don't want to be stuck in the back.So everyone is standing there getting cold(at least it wasn't raining)before the start talking away the nervousness.When the gun went off, as usual everyone goes like mad untill you feel like your going to puke a lung.I didn't have the greatest start,but then I wasn't feeling the greatest either.After the first climb we came down into a ski jump bowl and then climbed back out.Up maybe the 3rd hill Sam comes shooting around me,and I'm like "crap, either he's feeling on fire today or I'm doing horrible." Sam has never passed me that early before I'm always out front for at least 15-30 min before he turns on.I stayed in the group with him for a bit but then fell back a bit.I felt just like Buck there for a while people would pass and I wouldn't have it to keep up.Then something clicked around lap 2 or 3. I got in a group of about 4 and I was like, I need to be more agresive here and have a break through mentally. So when the attacks started I would stay focused and pound the pedals. Pretty soon I started feeling better and I was starting to think of strategies on where everyones weakness was.I was in the zone at this time,and after dropping a couple guys, me and this other guy my age were mono a mono.I knew I was faster in the flat open and at the end section were there were 90 degree corners goig back and forth.And He was stronger at making surges.So at this time lap traffic was bad and I was making some people a bit nervous bumping bars,but what can I do when I have somone hunting me down.I made my move on the last flat and put the hammer down,and luckily in my favor, I was comming up on a guy who was about to go into a section that was almost imposible to pass so I yelled up a bit early to anounce my pass.I went around him just in time before the section and that put the guy behind me in a little more difficult position.After that I was going so fast through those corners that no one could pass me and I beat him! I never did catch Sam though,he was feeling the same way and he's an engine.He keeps it at one pace and never fades.
Racing is interesting because in the beginning you breath so hard and your legs build so much lactic acid. Then when you break through the pain and get in that zone your breathing slows and your body becomes so efficient I think that it seems easier.
end result- overall age time
Sam Oftedahl 15 6 1:44:48
Eric Oftedahl 20 9 1:46:16

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home