Wednesday, May 11, 2005

First road race...ever!

I had this all written out and when I went to publish it there was a glitch on this web site and I lost it,so here goes round 2....I love the smell of lilacs in the spring time.They're everywhere,and I get a big wiff when I speed by on my bike.Its lovely isn't it.
Me and Sam did our first road race at the Opus crit.I was a little edgy at the start and moved straight to the front from mid pack.The first two laps were slower than expected and no one wanted to do anything.On the bottom of the hill on the 3rd lap someone made a move and some Gravity Lab guys came to the front at the top of the first sprint I took 4th(points are given to the top 3 riders every 3 laps). I was at the front most of the time to keep out of the pack since it wasn't a very organized paceline and one rider already went down next to Sam.On the 6th lap some one made an attack and I followed,then at the middle of the hill I made my move but I could only hold out for 3rd.The next two laps I should have sat back a bit but Sam took some good pulls up the hill and we had to hold on to a couple of attacks so in the final sprint I didn't have the kick and couldn't hold out for any points.In the end I took 5th overall in the cat4/5.I learned alot and I plan on a different stradegy for next time.
I called my boss today to ask for some time off to go to South Dakota.I got it.It took some guts to ask him because I've had like 3weeks off in the past 2 months because of a slow down.The date is set for May 20-29.I can't wait to do all the sweet accents,Iron mt road,Needles highway,Nemo rd, and 2miles of 10% grade up to Mt Rushmore.Or how about 20 miles of uphill in Spearfish canyon. 30-45 min of tempo on the major climbs with switchbacks at the top.Then you desend, passing cars at 50 mph,whipping around pigtail bridges,and swerving through the winding roads.All while breathing in the nice evergreen air and looking at spectacular views.I also like watching massive RV's trying to squeeze their way through the skinny tunnels and ripping off their auning. or putting a nice scratch along the side.Then you finish off the ride right by stopping for icecream in town.I would like to get some people together sometime and go out there with some more riders.It would be sweet with a group.
Tomarow is my last day of school.No more going back.Now I just have to put in my hours to get my raises.I'm thinking by next winter....Journeyman

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home