Thursday, May 17, 2007

Youthful Endeavors

Have to give props to my dad, he made his cycling accomplishment of the year. Monday he returned from his trip up to the Canadian boarder via his 90lb loaded down Trek commuter bike. I forgot to get a pick of it but trust me it was full. He made it to Two Harbors in 2 days which he wasn't expecting. Slow and steady was his approach, and it gave him around 80 miles a day. He ran into the smoke from the forest fires up in Grand Marais. He said he could only see 2 blocks in the smoke. Fortunately the wind switched the next day and he was able to continue all the way up to the boarder. On the way back he broke a spoke. Luckily it was in Duluth and he was near a bike shop. While they were fixing it 2 more broke. They are WTB rims with beefy DT spokes and Bontranger hub.He was saying, back in the day (late 70's early 80's)when he took a trip with his brother, he never broke any spokes. My guess is the spokes on his new bike are tensioned higher and so there is less flexing and more stress. Plus, I doubt he had that much weight on his bike back then.The last day was brutal as he battled 30 mph headwinds and hot weather on Monday from Moose Lake to home. Oh well, he made it nonetheless. Chalk another one up for the old guys Charlie.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Eric: Your brother tried to call me but I was out training, in any event, my wife accidentially deleted his message and therefore his phone number...My wife thinks he was asking if he could stay with us on Friday...Normally that would be great, but I involved w/ Graduation practice and won't be home...Also, I ask Scotty & Sarah, but they to are booked :( Charlie

Thu May 17, 04:57:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Old Guyz Rock...Hey Eric; have Sam email me [cfarrow@esko.k12.mn.us]
Charlie

Thu May 17, 05:15:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home