Friday, April 27, 2007

Top 5 Dumbest Moments Ever Witnessed

Tuesday Sam, Josh, and I were heading over to White Bear lake to join the Ride and Glide group ride. When we got to the intersection of Hwy 61 and 96 we had stopped for a red light. There was a guy in his late 20's early 30's waiting on the corner to cross on a bike also(t-shirt & jeans riding a department store bike). As we were chit-chatting away this guy decides to start crossing the street. The light was no where near going to turn green. Traffic was heavy and there were cars lined up in the right-turn only lane to our right. So as the dude was crossing, the cars perpenicular to us, who had a green light and where going through the intersecton at 50mph, were blinded by the right turn only cars. We were thinking,"Is this for real" and I saw a truck comming full bore on the other side of all the cars and I thought "No way." The truck slams on his brakes, and the bikes front wheel gets taken out by the rear of the truck and the guy goes down. The truck pulls off the road, but the dude on the bike just gets up, remounts his bike, and starts riding off like nothing happened. We figure he was either drunk or high off of something. If that guy was 1 second faster, he would have been creamed. How dumb can one get.

On a softer note, the group ride went well. It started slow but as soon as we got to the first big climb going up co rd 11 from 95 near Stillwater, we started the first attack. I let a guy pace up the hill then Sam and I kept it rolling over the top. The group of about 15 was now down to 5 of us. The route up to square lake had plenty of climbing and every time I looked back a chase group was trying to rejoin. On the last big hill I think they gave up because we were all pounding nails and I couldn't see anyone anymore. All the way back on county7 we were catching the slower groups that started earlier, plus I think some were from the county cycles ride. Seemed like there were 2-4 riders spaced every mile. Sam was suffering but I was feeling alright. One guy made an attack on the last incline, I took his wheel and he got nowhere. Every one stuck together for the approaching sprint and I just sat in the back while the others were getting frisky and making alot of surges. I learned my lesson last year on starting a sprint too early. In the final stretch I jumped wheels and got a nice slingshot around to take 1st. I did my best impression of Doug Swanson by slapping my leg and yelling "Boooom!". I hit 1100+ watts. Not too bad. Shure is nice to open up the throttle a bit now. One last training weekend before the racing starts :)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eric...you are going to be a FORCE this season!!!! I enjoy reading your work! Charlie

Fri Apr 27, 06:23:00 PM  
Blogger Eric O. said...

Hopefully a "Force to be recond with"

Sat Apr 28, 05:07:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home