Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Eriks Spring Cup


leading out for the first time

Sunday was the first MNSCS race of the year. This is prabably the Fantana of MN since its in a park on the edge of South St Paul (my hometown) and Inver Grove Heights, and the "singletrack" is like a cow trail going across the field. There is a little forested singletrack but about 5 min worth. Sat I was feeling pretty good and I knew there was a chance I was going to have a good day. When Sunday rolled around the high temp dropped from 80 degrees on sat to about 55 degrees at race start. I stayed warm though and was just fine during the race with some knee warmers. I took a front row seat this year on the start and it payed off. All through the prolouge Hollywood and Justin Rienhart set the pace and it was manageable for me. No way! What in the world was I doing going into the singletrack second. For the first time in the history of cycling I was laying my own tire treads before the great MN starting gods of Velo Rochester, and Bear Naked Cannondale. Unbelievable! Justin set pace in front of me and we started railing the berms. Halfway through the first lap, the race established its lead group. Justin, Me, Tom Miller, Chris Fisher, Brendan Moore, Paul Hanson, Sam, and Ben Moore. Thats the way it was the whole race. We had a different leader every lap. Lap1-Justin, lap2-me, lap3-Tom, lap4-Paul, and lap5-Chris. Lap 4 and 5 I was holding on for dear life. Chris Hammered the last lap but everyone seemed to stay together. On the last section of singletrack which was a small hill my legs started to sieze up. By the time I hit the pavement where the last 1/4 mile surge needed to be I had nothing left and everyone left me. I came in 8th.Paul, Chris and Brendan had a photo finish with Paul taking the win. And wouldn't you know it they payed 7 deep. I don't know how many times I missed it by one spot. But the confidence gained was great. I actually finished with the lead group and led a lap. It was a success for me. It was cool on the last lap everyone was in pairs-Velo Rochester,Bear Naked, Hollywood/Silver Cycling. We averaged 19mph for the course and were railing everthing. I like it when a big train of riders are going super fast through the woods and its own wind is created. The leaves and brush on the side of the trail rise up and move all over- its sweet. Afterwards I had brats and burgers at Chris's house. Thanks for the post ride meal Chris and Jen it really hit the spot. Off to school for me this summer math class is going to be brutal. Advil Anyone
The lead train of riders

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is going to be your breakout year.I was very impressed to see you behind H-wood on the prologue & then see you pulling on the front for a lap & 1/2.All that speed skating is paying off.I knew based on our rides that this was a race & course you would do good on.Not to mention that fact that it was done with the comfort of a F.S.No more back aches.Great Job!
Keep up the good work!

Tue May 22, 07:32:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eric: You are ready to take the lead!!!! Are you guyz racing anywhere this upcoming weekend??? There is a road race up here in Duluth?
ps I will see you for sure in Mazzeppa, but just at the start :(
Charlie

Tue May 22, 03:25:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great race Eric!!! It's fun when it all comes together, enjoy it!

Tue May 22, 05:53:00 PM  
Blogger Jay Richards said...

Nice job Eric. Sweet. Missed riding with you this year like we did last year at Harmon. Don't take Advil. It kills the good bacteria inside your stomach and leaves you more vulnerable for infection. Trust me, I have gone two years without taking the stuff and knock on wood, I haven't been sick "sick" since then. Try taking a ice cold leg bath instead.

Wed May 23, 08:59:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home