Sunday, April 30, 2006

Kenwoods


Start into the headwind Posted by Picasa

Off the back alone

I knew yesterday would be an epic ride its a shame I couldn't finish it though.The temp was hovering in the mid 40's with wind driven rain all day.Off the start into the head wind I was in the front just doing enough work to get warmed up.Nobody really turned up the notch untill mile 2 when we tuned south with a side wind.Everyone was guttered with their bikes leaning sideways into the wind,and road spray was going sideways off the tires.When we turned with the wind a huge surge was put in and the field broke to about 20 or so.I was near the back just trying to jump wheels to make it up to the front.We were going 30+ mph and I still had to jump out of the saddle to sprint to the next wheel.It was evident that everyone wanted to make this a race unlike the last one.The surges just kept comming and lasted a long time.My legs were not agreeing with my yet again and I knew I probably wouldn't be finishing this one if it kept up.With the wind the way it was if you lost the wheel in front of you and drifted off the back you were a goner.I did take a few pulls with Sam near the end of the first lap to close a gap to 2 riders,but Sam put the hurt on up the big climb at the end and I let the group go.I was DONE! I just spun out the last mile to the finish,and DNF.It wasn't the weather that got me,I was warmer on the bike than I was watching the race.Work took me out of this one.This whole week was like putting in an 8hr full body workout everyday.You can't do any intensity training after work on weeks like this.This is where things get frusterating for me.I want to be up there but its not possible when all your energy is used up at work.I just have to look ahead and hopefully things will turn around for the good.
Sam had got dropped from the lead group on the 2nd lap in the crosswind and came in alone.Those big guys can put out the juice in the wind and just pull like a lead dog.


Doug and Dan at the finish for the Cat 1/2 race.That is a sweet new team kit you guys have.lol

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Eric,

It's Morgan Kluender... we were in children's church together (remember that?!) Well, I am not sure how I ended up on your blog site, but I did; so I had to take the oppurtunity to say hello.

Your cycling "blog" is really interesting. I can't even take a leisurely bike ride without nearly dying.

Well, I hope that this finds you (and Sam) doing well.

Take care!
Morgan

Sun Apr 30, 06:43:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Morgan,this is sam.I remember you from youth group.how's it going.I saw your mom & dad at Dolly Sturgis' funeral.Hope your doing well also.

Sun Apr 30, 07:36:00 PM  
Blogger Jay Richards said...

Way to hang tough EO. Keep pluggn' away and hopefully things turn for the better. You have put a bunch of training in so you deserve to do well in the races. You need to get in a situation like those carpenters out west, some of them work like three days a week and when they want. The homebuilders go nuts but carpenters are in short supply so they get away with it and still get paid crazy amounts.

Sun Apr 30, 07:57:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Sam!
I just had a conversation about you the other day, actually. I would love to hear how you are doing and where life finds you. I feel terrible using Eric's blog to type this. Sorry Eric.

If you get a chance, you should email me at Morgs_1205@hotmail.com

Good to hear from you!

Mon May 01, 02:56:00 PM  
Blogger Eric O. said...

How in the world did you find my blog? Its a small world if you were blog surfing.How do you not know how you came across my blog?come on you can tell us.

Its nice hearing from you though.I've been meeting up with alot of people I haven't seen in ages lately.Dolly's home comming was like a reunion.

Mon May 01, 06:08:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eric
I have to clarify, by saying, "I have no idea how I ended up on your blog," I should have said, "WOW! Totally crazy that I was 'blog surfing' (? never heard the term. I hope I am using it properly) and came across your blog!"
I was looking at a friends, friends, friends blog for art ideas... oh, by the way, I am having my first art show, you are welcome to come... and then started jumping around and ended up here. Crazy, huh??

Well, in any case, it is always fun to find people from a long time ago.

Good to hear from and "bump" into you.

-Morgan

Mon May 01, 08:04:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home