Monday, September 05, 2005

Good times, bad race

After a wet saturday, sunday rolled around and dried up nicely.It had went from 60 degrees to a humid 80 something.I had a decent start and was in the top 10 going into the singletrack.The singletrack there is tight and alot of short steep hills,and its kind of difficult to keep momentum if your feeling flat.I started out with 2 mechanicals on the first lap where my brake cable freakishly came out of the lever.What the heck!? I've never seen that one before.I had to disconnect the rear break,unscrew the barrel adjuster all the way out and fish that little hammer back into the holder.And that happened twice. After that I was passed by Ben P who had broken his chain and went otb on an uphill a ways back.I've never seen that done either.After that the race was painfull.My legs didn't have power in them at all.And I was bouncing off of every rock and root.With a 1/4 mile to go I started to cramp up bad.I was going so slow it was unreal.But I did finish, a freakish 16min behind even Sam.The funny thing was is I finished in 15th and thats how far they paid back.Ben's like "It makes it hurt a little less".
I did loose my spot in the series standings...from7th to 9th.That means I lost the top 3 in age too.Crap, thats disappointing.Oh well what can you do.Next year will be a new beginning and hopefully my luck will turn around for the good.
I did have a great time away from racing.Thanks to Jay and everyone else who helps out at the lodge.The food is awesome and the lodge is cozy and relaxing.
I also got to ride my dirtbike for the first time.Jay pointed me towards some trails and I was off.I got a good 2 hrs of riding in total.The best trail was the Sugarbush trail wich is practicly on the other side of the road from Maplelags driveway.I took that trail sunday evening and as I was ripping down the road I came across a big mudhole with a minivan up to its rockerpanels in mud.No one was in the van and I didn't see anyone on my way down the trail.I was thinking to my self "what was he thinking?" On my way back to the lodge I was going down the driveway and the guy who got the minivan stuck flagged me down and wanted to know if I knew someone who could pull him out.To make a long story short I went back to tell him no ,but I did tell a local guy on a 4 wheeler about it when I went back out after supper.It was getting dark and I never did find out what happened. I let Luke take the bike out for a spin and he came back wanting to get one but he's expecting a kid in a few months.
Well thats it for MN racing this year. The Big Chequamy is next and last!See ya

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too bad about the race....you had a good year though...so take that and apply it to next year. It looks like your site is getting spammed like crazy!!!! Spam sucks!!!!

Tue Sep 06, 09:10:00 AM  
Blogger Jay Richards said...

Thanks for coming up to the race with your bro Eric. Found some more trails today. I have a good idea on the point to point now. If you come up to your cabin this fall, let me know and maybe one afternoon or something we can ride it.

Wed Sep 07, 05:35:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home