Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Double header part 2

Spirit Mt was very different this year. Sarah and Scott Kylander-Johnson did alot of trail building,and it was all slow.I didn't know how my body would react to doing two races.Two very hard races at that.My Legs were feeling crummy when I would try to punch it.Mike told us to just ride into the race.He was right, on the start I found myself getting passed on both sides.I felt better when we came to a stop at the top of the hill going into the singletrack.Jeff messed up and caused a big backup. Dang that singletrack was slow.Me and Sam found ourselves winding through the woods with Charlie Farrow keeping up.One spot I had to almost do a trackstand,turn my wheel, then take the corner. It was that tight.
Once we hit the original course I could put the hammer down on the flats.Then it was down into the 4 wheeler trails riding the berms and as Charlie put it "You feel like your in Star Wars".Going up the "Puker" on the first lap, Sam had his climbing legs on and pulled a gap.My legs were stiff and my back was on the verge of cramping so I just rode my own pace.Going into the second lap I was riding a bit with Josh and I eventually caught Dano.I don't get it,he would make little mistakes on the slow singletrack and I passed him,but he would absolutely bomb the rocky downhill with the speed of a mongoose and cat like reflexes.Yes ,he almost put me over the bars by passing me on the nastiest section.But I put a gap back on him in the 15 min climb to the top and took 18th place for the day.I guess it wasn't too bad.Get this though, Ore-to-shore was 48miles and it took 2:47.Spirit was 24 miles and it took 2:33. Thats how slow it was.Or thats how slow I was. Oh well,It was a good learning experience and I enjoyed both races
My boss is in Vegas this whole week and I'm on my own at Unisys.Its alot slower working alone but I'm getting things done.I have to put in a new entry wall and I'm walking around up in the ceiling on duct work and pipe racks.I kind of like it, and I'm the only one that can fit up there.
This weekend is full yet again.I want to make it to Afton to watch some of the 24hr race,and maybe catch some of the State Fair. Sunday is the harvest ride which starts in the town of Hudson Wis. We missed it last year and its one of our favorite century rides.Afterwards is Apple pie and ice cream, mmmm.Later

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home