Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Sidelined

I came down with a stubborn cold after Steeple-chase and it stuck around all week which meant I forfeited Afton this last weekend. It was a hot one out there so I packed up some water bottles and rode around dumping water on everyone and giving Sam the option to take in more fluids. On the first lap Chris and Brendan came up Shady Lane with a small gap and Sam leading the rest close behind. The Second time around It was Chris, Brendan, Paul and Sam riding in close proximity. The 3rd lap Chris cramped out and Brendan attacked Sam and Paul. By the time he was at the top of Shady, he had 45 seconds on them. Lap 4 Brendan had 1:15 seconds on Sam and Paul put in reverse. Thats the way it ended, Sam 1:30 down from Brendan.
After the race me and Sam fixed Jays tire for him. Me and Sam believe in the military motto "Leave no man behind". Especially when he had to get up at 4:30 to go to a race with a boat load of rowdy kids, a sore thumb, and no energy. It started out pretty grim. The sun beat down on us, the buzzards were circling us low, and the tumble weeds blew across the hot, dry empty parking lot. But we got them rolling again and on their way only to hit a deer 4 miles from home...doh! or should I say Doe! Talk about Drama. If I was Jay at that point, I think I would have gone into a dark empty corn field and sit cross legged for a while staring into the black nothingness.
School is going well. I'm on my 4th week of a 6 week summer math course. My grade so far is a 98%. I thought the work load would be greater but its not. The teacher doesn't collect homework so I just do whats neccessary to get the concept down and move on. Some of these kids are up into the wee hrs of the night trying to do as much homework as possible. For me, after a couple hrs everything just turns to mush and at that point its time to close the book and walk away, because nothing is going to be absorbed after that point anyway.
0

3 Comments:

Blogger Brendan said...

Nice work on the math grad even if you couldn't race=) I agree that homework should only be used as a learning tool. It sounds like the school thing isn't treating you too badly. Do you have a major picked yet (I know you were talking about Enginerding).

Tue Jun 12, 06:22:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eric; You, sir, are both a gentleman and a scholar of the highest order!
Charlie

ps Will our paths ever cross this season?

pss I rode a long long race this last weekend in Canada. For a while I rode with a guy that raced his bike for Canada in the 1972 Olympics! It was great!!!!

Tue Jun 12, 02:32:00 PM  
Blogger Eric O. said...

yeah, I'm taking as much math and science classes as possible for right now. Still looking at Enginerding. I'm taking an engineering class next semester that will introduce me to all the different fields and give an overview of whats involved.I'll probably transfer to the UofM after generals at Century. Century has a partnership with the U in an easy transfer program for engineering students.

Tue Jun 12, 07:51:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home