Saturday, August 11, 2007

Better..Best..Bad..Bagged it.

Thats how it went at the Ore-to-Shore. Bit of Drama for many. The start was hard and the body was in a bit of shock after not doing any race efforts for 3 weeks. I was red lining it up the first big hill and was feeling slow. Then in the flat sandy 4- wheeler trails I could hardly crawl back up to the wheel in front of me which was 10 feet away. I finally told myself to suck it up. After all, a big part of racing is mental toughness too. Everyone else is feeling the same pain.I was doing BETTER then last year as I was in the top 15. About 10-15 miles into the race I see Sam about 50 yards up stop and the Eppens on the tandem coming towards me. I glance right to see a course arrow pointing right. From 3rd place (Doug) back to me had all gone straight instead of right. everyone but Doug came back. I guess Doug didn't realize it until a couple miles out when he came to a house.I was now sitting in my BEST Ore-to-Shore position ever. Once Brian and Kim Eppen came up to me on the tandem, I jumped on for a free ride as were about 6 others. The "Eppen Express" was in full effect..the whistle on the train goes WHOOOOOT,WHOOOOOT.(That one's for Doug). When we hit the deep woodchip and sandy uphills on the 4-wheeler trail 20 miles in 1 guy had a small gap on us and I began to chase with Sam on my wheel. At mile 25, Misery hill appeared before me. Misery hill is about 100yds long and is a difficult hike-a-bike, loose rock filled, sandy hill. When I arrived at the bottom Brian Matter was just hopping back on his bike at the top. A couple boulder strewn rollers latter I was leading a group of about 6 in 4th position with Sam on my wheel. This is where the race turned BAD. I was climbing a hill when my chain snapped on me. Sam stopped and I frantically searched his camelbak for a chain tool but he didn't have one. I told him to just go after about 30 seconds. I was about 2 miles out from an aid station so I began the hike. A rider that passed by dropped me a tool after 5-10 min. of hiking. When I was going to take the broken link out I noticed that where I needed to break it was indeed the master link, which meant I didn't even need the chain tool to fix it. Ok, so I started rolling again just to finish the race and get back home. I made it up the long pavement stair stepper climb and began descending through the 4-wheeler trails. Just when I thought things couldn't get worse, they did.At 14 miles to go, a rock split my tire clean open on the sidewall from tread to bead. I patched it with a GU packet and limped it a couple miles to some aid personnel who had duct tape. After putting some duct tape in the tire I limped it another 2 miles to another aid station and decided to BAG IT. They gave me a 4-wheeler ride to yet another aid station where they wrapped the entire tire and rim to hold it better. I then had to ride the last 8 miles on the road through town into the finish area in Marquette. I was getting tired and feeling a bonk coming on because I was out there for over 3hrs. Sam went on to take 8th. Next time I'm bringing everything I need to get back including some duct tape.

This was going to be my racing rig, until the kid who owned it beat me up and took it back.


I still think Doug Swanson is responsible for this. He was pretty loopy during the preride.


This is how I limped it back for 3 miles before getting a ride on the 4 wheeler

At aid station visit #3 this is the repair that they fixed me up with before riding the remaining 8 miles on the pavement to the finish.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tough break Eric...but itz like Niezche sez, "If it does not kill you, it will make you stronger!"
See you in Duluth on Sunday!
Charlie

Mon Aug 13, 07:14:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home