Sunday, July 08, 2007

The Kato Cooker



Yep, paid 7 deep and I got 8th. I gotta get up in that top 5 consistency group here soon. This 7th and 8th business is getting old. Before the race I was feeling kind of drowsy and not much energy. I think it was the heat. I looked at a themometer in the shade and it read 95 degrees with the dewpoint in the 70's, making a heat index of 100+ degrees. Let me tell you, its an experience to be climbing as hard as you can up a ski slope baking in the sun with no wind. It gets real uncomfortable fast. Off the line my legs felt like junk and hurt bad I even thought we were on the conservative side (except for Paul and Brendan). I found my way up to third way behind the two fast guys. Fisher, Jeff "I'm only on a training ride" Hall, and Jay Richards were right behind me. At the end of the 1st lap Jeff goes around me right before the new "quick release" descent. Fisher and Jay found there way around me on the second lap and I saw Sam hard charging behind me. He fell twice on the first lap and had to do alot of catch up. He passed me quickly and rode up to Jay. Chris Peariso caught me on the 4th lap and had an excellent last lap kick. I took it easy since I had no one in sight behind me, and I was feeling the heat. I felt like I couldn't push myself that hard in this race. When I tried, I would just bog down and get that over heating feeling. I could only run on cruise control for the whole race to stay at a certain temprature. Sam came in 5th.




1 Comments:

Blogger Dan Cleary said...

I highly recommend the 50-34 with a 12x25 set up. Yes, it can be overkill if you can slog it up with at 39x25/27 but the range you have with that type of setup is so nice in the Alps or Pyrenees. If you get tired, you bang it out with a strong spin. Plus, a 50x11 will get you to the line quicker than a 53x12 and as smaller guys (including myself), I'm not spinning out a 53x12 anytime soon. Have fun during the stages. I'll be relaxing in Nice

Mon Jul 09, 10:04:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home