Sunday, July 23, 2006

Mid -Season Break

Haven't had much time or motivation to write a post.Red wing last weekend was the steamiest race I hope I'll experience.When I got home the dewpoint read 79.I had reasonable start going in the singletrack behind Ian Stanford.It was a short lived race as I went otb and hyperextended a finger or two.After that I couldn't hold on to the bar and bagged it.The big story is what Sam did.On the start he clipped a pedal on a corner and was dead last going into the singletrack.He is an excellent heat rider and he fought his way up to Jay Richards.It was an exciting sprint finish for 3rd but Jay beat him at the line.From last to 4rth is an incredable effort.
Thursday came around and I felt like I needed to finish a race this month and it was the last thursday night at Buck.188 people made it out that night.The start was hecktic as usuall.I lined up second row and right off the line someone pushed Shane over into my line and he had to unclip.Seeing myself at the back, I put in the biggest effort I had and b-lined it right up the far right side of the road and made it back up to Sam.We were still below top 10 I think.When I hit the pavement climb on the first lap Sam passed me like I was standing still.I was even out tof the thinking I was feeling better.The last two laps traffic was heavy.188 people on a 15 minuite lap,and you catch them quick.I was content to stay behind Jan Rybar and a few other guys.Like I say, I haven't been doing much riding prior and I just needed to finish a race.Sam once again gained time and made it up to Brendan who was 4rth.I didn't look to see my placement,I'll guess 12th or so.
Yesterday we went up to Maplelag resort.Jay was hosting his Tour de Resorts preview.14 of us gathered for a 35-40 mile point to point ride from Pinehurst to Maplelag.We had a little "drama" in the beginning as Jay would call it.He was tightening his rear sckewer when it snapped the end off.Then a few miles down the road Zigs blew his rim appart it was the craziest thing I've ever seen.Luckily a cop was passing by so he got a ride back to his truck.The course would follow alot of dirt road,4-wheeler trails,ski trails,and logging roads.Not alot of climbing at all.Roadies would love this one.It would be a Bigring Bash.I do have to agree with Jay in that the last dirt road section was a bit long.It would be nice to hit some atv trail or something somewhere in there.We all had a good time keeping the pace easy/moderate.I think it would be a race that would quickly grow.Alot of people like to do the point to point mass start classic rides.I have to say thanks to Jay and his wife for all the hospitallity and great food we had a great time.

I made another water bottle hand off thingamajig.A totally different design,and alot better.I'm still tweeking it a bit but I think I have the main concept down.This design is cheaper,easier,and faster to make too.I had better get a patent on this one.Someone posted pictures of it on skinnyski under the redwing race so hopefully nobody takes my idea.I also converted some road shoes into mtb shoes.They work pretty good.I'll have them for the dry races I won't use them in the mud.

No racing for a few weeks now.Weekends are full with golf,bachlor party,wedding,and just chilling out.It will be nice to stay home and take care of stuff.I'm going back to the drawing board and write out a plan of attack for the end of the season.Have a good week-E.O

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home