Saturday, June 21, 2008

Take me back

These are the climbs that will be in this years Tour de France that we climbed on our trip last year.

I personally thought the Hautacam was one of the toughest. Maybe because it was the last of 3 HC climbs we did that day - The Tourmalet, Luz Ardiden, and the Hautacam, over 12,000 ft of climbing that day. The day previous was Port de Bales with the last 10km averging 10%, the Peyresourde, and the Aspin which was a 10,000 ft day. Oh and the day before that was the Marie Blanque, and the Aubisque where I caught my cold that lasted the whole trip on the descent(Always remember to bring warm cloths for descents). That day we did 7,100ft of climbing.

I didn't think the Peyresourde was that bad of a climb. It seemed more gradual than they say on paper, not all that twisty of a climb until a few final switchbacks. This is where the rest of the group stopped and had like 30 crapes at the top of the climb. I bet they regretted it when they had to climb the Aspin to get back. On the descent a local truck passed me as I was going 45mph through the twisty roads like I was standing still. A local biker also passed Sam and Brian with both hands in the back of his jersey, crazy!

I liked the Aspin. Neat climb and the descent was very twisty through the forest. I have some good video of me passing cars going down this one.


Of course there is the famous Tourmalet. The longest climb by far at around 17km with some spectacular views. The side that they will descend this year is the sketchiest downhill we did over there. The road is in bad condition and the corners are scary. There was alot of traffic when we did it and sheep all over the place but still I would not like to go screaming down those hills at that speed and find myself looking at a 100ft fall if I lose control.
I almost got the Tourmalet summit sign shown in the picture. Worker guys were replacing it and I tried to talk them into giving me the old one. I bet if Hollywood was along he would find a way to get it. It would have looked good hanging up in his shop.
I have more pictures here
I just got my memory card back from Brian this spring. I borrowed it to his daughter on the trip and she forgot to give it back. She ended up taking it to New York and Scotland before getting it back to me. All the France pictures were still on it which was good because she was our (Sam Brian and me) sag wagon the entire time so all the other pictures from everyone else didn't have us in them. I finally have pictures of us climbing now. I got video from a handle bar mounted video camera too of most of the descents which is fun to watch

21 cols
8 days
64,000 vertical ft of climbing
35 hrs in the saddle
Riding the famous battle grounds of the Tour de France - Priceless!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, you can't catch a cold on a descent (no matter what the Italians tell you). Typically 4-7 day incubation period for a viral infection.

Sun Jun 22, 06:20:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home