Monday, May 12, 2008

Erik's spring Cup 5.00


A cold(start) windy day at Harmon for the MNSCS opener yesterday. The race was pushed back an hr to let the trails dry up. And dry up they did with only 1 giant mud hole with a wheel sucker in the middle. I guess Chris and Brendan both fell victim to. Off the start I took position behind my early 2007 season nemesis and Wisconsin native Jesrin Gaier. In front of him was Brendan, Paul, and Doug. Behind me was Chris, H-Wood, Charlie, and Sam. Within a half lap Paul dropped back to me and Jesrin. A little while latter I began to drop both Jesrin and Paul. On the start of lap 2 I was 3rd in between Brendan and a group containing Chris, Paul, Jesrin, and Sam bridging up to them after getting a bad position going into the single track from the start. Near the end of lap 2 Sam had bridged up to me and we still had a gap I'd say around 20 seconds or so. Sam led the 3rd lap and Paul did what he does best and thats putting in a huge surge to catch us. He latched on at the start of the twisty single track at the end of the lap. I led the first half of the 4th lap. Paul went to the front at the turn around point and put in another big surge. Sam and I were going cross-eyed and Paul opened up a gap. On the last lap we almost pulled Paul back but no cigar. In the end Sam had some spunk left in the legs while mine were going ish. I came in 5th, 1 sec behind Sam, Paul 30 sec up, Brendan 1.5 min, and Doug 4:00 min.


all pictures provided by the best ski and cycling event coverage site in MN skinnyski.com

I'm going through finals right now but they will be over wednesday.
next up is my first road stage race over memorial weekend up in the Duluth area. Eric Thompson will be back tomorrow or wednesday so I will be getting some good training in with him. He did the collegiate national team time trial in Fort Collins Colorado this weekend and took 3rd. They would have done better but they were spinning out in their 53x11 and averaged 31mph. Not bad for 4 freshmen.(One of his team mates is Mike Anderson from MI who won the semi-pro short track race and got 2nd in the xc race at Sea-Otter this year.) A lot of talent on that team. The winning team all had 56x11 gearing. Lees-Mcrea also took the mens and womens road race title.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looking forward to reading all the race recaps again this year. Good luck with the season!

Tue May 13, 12:11:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home