Saturday, November 03, 2007

Quick Trip

I bagged my deer this morning at a little after 8:00 and so I figured I could get home and unpacked before dark and have tomorrow free to do homework and a ride. I spent less then 24 hrs at the cabin this year and I won't be back, thats pretty sad. This is how it goes- For the first time I decided to ride my cross bike partway to the stand which was convenient and fast. It was only a 1/4 mile or so. I walked the rest of the way (200 yards or so). Not much shooting in the area at dawn and it was dead calm. Here in the cities there is always a little noise of something that your ears have something to work with, but when your in the middle of the woods with nothing for your ears to pick up its just a ringing. About a half hr after there was enough light to see, I heard shots from the nearby pine planting. Chances are when someone goes off with there gun, they never hit anything because the deer is probably running. A while after the shots from the planting, I heard some more from across a road which was good because I was in the channel where the deer go to hit the cover before entering a swamp. Sure enough I heard some leaves rustle in the brush in from that direction. Oh boy this is it, I got ready and my heart was pounding like I was standing on the start line. There it is, I saw a faint body as it moved throughout the brush and would occasionally disappear behind trees. It was walking so there was no hurry. I looked for a good shooting lane in front of it and waited. As soon as it came out I pulled one off, BOOM! down he went. It was a far shot, about 75 yards with open sights and a narrow shooting lane. I kinda thought it was at a bad angle so I waited a few seconds ready to put another one down range. It got up again and wham! I hit it again. This time I spined it so it was down for good. I didn't know what I got, buck, doe, the turdy pointer? I originally thought it was a good sized doe because I couldn't see any antlers. When I began looking for it, I kept looking back at the stand to see if I was still heading in the right direction when I almost stepped on the thing. Sweet, a buck! You know that part in the hunting shows where they approach the down game from behind and touch it with the gun before going up to touch its head, there is a reason for that. This thing looked dead to me but when I grabbed its horns it jumped up with its front hooves and clocked me clean across the face. Just kidding, but that would make a great hunting story around the fire wouldn't it? It did try to get up with its front legs though so I gave him one more through the lungs to finish him off. I wonder how many people don't hunt because they don't like gutting their game. You need a strong stomach to handle that stuff. The worst are gut shots. Bring a clothes pin for the nose, hew thats bad stuff. What a bloody mess. I kept the heart and liver. Gave the liver to John Thompson to feed his dogs, and the heart will go in my moms famous Minnesota chilli. It makes a hearty meal.LOL. Anyway thats the story.
The design project is finally done. I think ours got the most props. The instructor said our class was definitely better than the evening class.The Robot is next.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home