Monday, March 08, 2010

Spring Training 3/8/10

2 Saturdays ago I started riding. I did 2 hrs every other day with speedskating on the odd days. Nothing structured on the ice, just go out there and skate whatever. I got in a total of 150 miles in 4 rides and an avg speed of around 18mph. This past weekend was kind of a recovery and pretty much the only workout I did was sunday night in Floyds garage. Today I upped the mileage to 48 which took 2:37, and an 18.2 mph avg. I'm going to get what I can out of this week as I'm on spring break and it sounds like rain tues and wed. Ideally I'd like to do this 50 mile loop every other day. On the odd days I'm going to concentrate on core work and upper body as I want to drop a couple pounds before the racing season and I need to lose that weight around the midsection. This also means I have to be more careful in what I eat. I'm mainly going to crack down on sweets and when I do eat a little bit its right before the ride so it gets burned up right away. Right now I'm at 152lbs and that's down from my usual 155lb weight that I maintained during the summer for the last I don't know how many years. At night what I've found that works well to satisfy my hunger with not too many calories is eat peanut butter toast and an orange. If I have this I don't find myself in the kitchen grazing right before bed like I would if I ate a high carb snack.

3 Comments:

Blogger HALLN' said...

Hey Jr.

If you drop those couple pounds you'll be giving Sam more competition on the climbs as you dance on the pedals...ha. I am on the peanut butter thing, in the morning I usually have a peanut butter and honey or cranberries tortilla with a Coke Zero. Then a light yogurt. Protein, carbs and caffeine.

On the training side. On your loop, twice a week add a 10 - 14 minute time trial in different sections on the loop. Maybe flat next ride a hilly section. Gotta throw out a little bit of advice...should be good times racing with Jay and Jake. I have a feeling it is going to be a real break-out year for Jake. All those Maple Lag jerseys up front, be lookin good!

Have a good spring, don't do too much too soon...are you on a motorized cycle this year?

Later Mike

Tue Apr 20, 08:58:00 AM  
Blogger Eric O. said...

Sold the SV 650 this spring. No more motors on my bikes. btw you should get a facebook. All the bloggers switched over, that's why we don't post hardly at all anymore. Is jeff going to race more this year. The swanson bro's are returning to mtbing and if Jeff comes back it will be like old times.ttyl

Tue Apr 20, 12:11:00 PM  
Blogger Rasmussen Bike Shop said...

Eric O, I'm thinking about heading to Duluth this weekend, to give you another shot at putting the hurt on me. Where do you guys usually stay when you go?

Cam

Thu Jun 10, 01:35:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home