Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Spirit Mt


"Dude,what did you step in"?


Don't blink or the single track ninja will disappear.


Photos courtesy of Jon Richards and skinnyski.com

Sunday was the Powder Monkey MTB race at Spirit Mt in Duluth. It was kinda hot and muggy. With only 2 laps it is difficult to plan for water bottle feeds. We set up the water bottle stands at the top of the big climb and had our mom give us bottles on the return from the first single track section near the start/finish area. The start was tight and I lost my pedal forcing me to stop dead on the uphill. I think I was dead last after that but I found my way up to Ben and Sam who were making up spots on the left side. Going into the single track I was behind Tom Miller and Sam in front of him. Soon in, Tom let me pass on the first opening. I chased but was loosing ground in the tight techy stuff. In front of me I saw Scott-Kylander-Johnson was leading out the Moore Bros. with Sam and Jay Richards close by. When I had got to the rocky stream bed crossing near the chalet, Jesrin Gier had caught up to me and Fisher was near him. I just stayed steady and ran my own pace without getting over my head. Chris Did catch me right before we started the big climb down in the fern gully so I put in an effort to make some time. I had forgotten how long, steep, and rocky that climb was but the legs handled it nicely and kept me going without any dabs or stopping. When I was half way up the switchback climb I looked down at the start/finish area to see Nikoli and Fisher starting lap 2. After that I was in no mans land and rode by myself to finish 6th between Jay Richards and Nikoli. It was a great course and I had a fun time. The technical riding is far better than anything around here.
Yesterday was the local "Tuesday Night Worlds" ride with the ride and glide club. We started out with about 25-30 riders going down hwy 7 towards square lake all strung out at 32mph (strong tailwind). We took a right at square lake and went up the first climb of the day. At the top Sam Miers, Sam, John Thompson, another dude and myself had a lead. Unfortunately big man Martin brought back the gap with a few others. Before the downhill into Stillwater on 95 some guy going the opposite direction saw us and joined us. On the descent he comes flying to the front screaming woo whooo! woo whoooo! at the top of his lungs as he passes every one. Then he drills it on the flat. John and I just shook our heads. Of course when we went up the big hills on 11 a couple miles latter he was dropped like a bad habit. I was close to yelling woo whooo! really loud when I passed him up the hill. I led up the first hill and the false flat then back down to the base of the long hill when the attacks started up again. Sam and a guy with a Beretta jersey accelerated over the top and had a 75 meter gap on me. Behind me John Thompson and Martin were digging deep to catch on. Us 5 eventually regrouped and started to rotate nicely. 3 others caught us right when we were going to turn back on 7. We finished with all 8 and John said he would lead me out for the final sprint. When we did finally get down to the sprint everyone spread out across the road and I wasn't going to come around John until the oncoming traffic was clear. When I did finally come around John from the back of the pack I had a head of steam and lost by a wheel. If it was just 5 meters further I would have easily won it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home